In it’s second year, Natural Beauty Week is bigger and better than ever! Launching today, 20th October, it’s been a whirlwind of preparation for the College of Natural Beauty to inspire Australians to #switchtonatural.
Last year hundreds of Australians jumped on board, pledging to make the switch by posting images on social media of their favourite natural beauty products and hash tagging #switchtonatural. The whole point of this innovative change campaign is to simply make us all a little more aware of the chemicals that can be found in beauty products and the importance of selecting natural alternatives.
As their ambassador, I’m so proud to be a part of this initiative as it’s something that I care deeply about. When I first discovered that, out of over 10,000 ingredients that can be found in cosmetic and beauty products, around 90% haven’t even been tested for safety, I was shocked. It just proves that we really have to be our own watch dogs.
We’re not suggesting that everyone throw out their entire bathroom’s contents and go and spend hundreds of dollars on new products. We’re simply encouraging you to check your labels and perhaps even make just one small change. Whether it be switching your deodorant next time it runs out or doing something crazy like using organic food as make up. Speaking of which…we show you how in the awesome vid above.
5 things you probably didn’t know about chemicals in your beauty products
1. Almost 90 per cent of cosmetics and skincare ingredients known to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration haven’t been evaluated for safety.
2. The average person applies 10 products to their skin daily, and absorbs 130 chemicals through their bloodstream.
3. Common chemicals found in perfume have been classified as hazardous waste by the US Environmental Protection Agency.
4. Sixty-one per cent of tested lipstick brands contain residues of lead.
5. Many substances in popular beauty products are used to clean industrial equipment, stabilize pesticides and grease gears.
To make it really easy for you to make the switch, head to www.naturalbeautyweek.com.au for free resources, events and loads of discounts from leading natural beauty brands. I’m offering 15% off all of my favourite beauty and cosmetic products in my Shine From Within online store for this week only! Simply use coupon code ‘NBW2014’ at checkout.
What did you think of the food as make up video? Do you have any natural beauty tips for me? I’d love to know so please leave a comment below.
Don’t forget to share your natural beauty faves on Instagram and tag me @amandarootsey, using the hashtag #switchtonatural. And check back here throughout the week – I’ve got lots of exciting things to share, including a video with my favourite natural deodorants tomorrow.